Maxis IoT Challenge returns to bring together innovative minds for new business potential with 5G-enabled IoT Solutions
- Maxis IoT Challenge 2020 returns with new industry-driven IoT challenges to inspire the most innovative minds in Malaysia
- Challenge part of continuing partnership with MDEC and industry collaborators, invites the public to develop IoT solutions for remote collaboration, manufacturing and security
- RM30,000 in cash prizes await top three winners, who will become some of the first developers in the country to trial and commercialise their 5G-enabled solutions
Close on the heels of the immensely successful and popular Maxis IoT Challenge last year, Maxis brings its second installation to the public with exciting, new industry-driven challenges to inspire the most innovative minds in Malaysia. The Maxis IoT Challenge is part of a continuing partnership with Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC) and industry collaborators to promote the IoT ecosystem development of 5G-enabled solutions among companies to spur the digital economy. It is part of the many joint initiatives that Maxis is undertaking to foster innovation for all Malaysians.
“Last year’s Challenge drew fantastic response by the public and industry players, demonstrating the evidently huge interest, investment and, most importantly, innovation capabilities in the country. We are thrilled to be launching the second instalment which underlines our continued commitment to bring together the best technologies to enable talented Malaysians to Always Be Ahead in a changing world, particularly in the current challenging business landscape. We are looking forward to seeing innovation at its best, and to be inspired by the best minds out there. I wish all participants the best of luck and we challenge them up their game this year!” said Paul McManus, Chief Enterprise Business Officer, Maxis.
This year’s Maxis IoT Challenge, themed “Transforming Industry Challenges Today into Business Opportunities Tomorrow”, invites the public to solve real business problems by collaborating with Maxis in the following categories:
- Digital Experience – Given the challenges brought by the COVID-19 pandemic, the challenge is how can industries reshape their customer experience journey digitally to enable sustained customer engagement in view of driving higher sales turnover.
- Smart Plants & Manufacturing – Making operations smarter with tools and environments that enable industries to efficiently guide on-ground personnel, solving issues on-the-go and minimising downtime.
- Intelligent Security – Developing safer townships with technology that can enable modularised real-time monitoring of large public spaces for effective policing and optimise resources.
The top three winners of the Maxis IoT Challenge this year stand a chance to take home cash prizes of RM15,000, RM10,000 and RM5,000 respectively, as well the opportunity to become some of the first developers in the country to trial and commercialise their 5G-enabled solutions and accelerate them to market.
The final round will be held in November, where finalists will pitch their prototypes to a panel of judges. Stay tuned!
To participate, candidates simply need to follow these 3 steps:
- Register at https://business.maxis.com.my/iot-challenge for free in a team of 2-5 people
- Join the live webinar session on 10 September to learn more about the Challenge and how to get started
- Upload a video pitch and written business proposal on one of the three Challenge statements provided
The top 15 ideas will be shortlisted by a panel of judges to proceed to the online development stage where candidates will be on a journey to turn their ideas into reality
Maxis IoT Challenge 2019
During the Maxis IoT Challenge last year, candidates developed their prototypes around Smart Cities, Smart Manufacturing and Smart Agriculture pillars in line with the theme, ‘Innovate our Tomorrow’. The top three winners had showcased NB-IoT solutions to monitor and enable the most optimised environment for mushroom crop growth, smart road user detection for safer roads and links to smart streetlights, detection and repelling weeds that are a threat to paddy farming.
Maxis’ IoT journey
Maxis has been reinforcing and accelerating its IoT agenda over the last few years. It launched the first commercial NB-IoT service in Malaysia in April 2019 within key IoT market centres, including Cyberjaya, Penang, Kuching, Putrajaya, Johor Bahru, and KLCC. The launch opened up the opportunity for businesses to deploy industrial IoT applications to form new data streams. As Vodafone’s preferred IoT partner in Malaysia, Maxis is leveraging its existing collaboration with the company’s platform and global experience to deliver market-proven technology for businesses that are looking to implement NB-IoT services in their operations.