FIBRE & 5G-READY
When do we expect 5G to be available in Malaysia? Do I need to change my device/ SIM card to enjoy 5G connectivity?
Substantial 5G rollout is expected to be around 2021 for two main reasons:
- The spectrum to be used for 5G has not been determined yet by the authorities;
- 5G-compatible devices are not yet available locally.
We will certainly make compatible devices/ SIM cards available with the launch of our 5G Network.
What is 5G and what will it offer that we do not enjoy today?
5G stands for the fifth generation of mobile communication standards, superseding 4G technologies.
What it offers:
- 10x higher speeds than what 4G can provide today, and up to gigabit speeds for applications such as fixed wireless access
- Fibre-like speed over mobile/ wireless connections
- Capability of supporting billions of connected devices at the same time
- Real-time sensitive online applications, e.g. remote surgery.
How makes the Maxis network 5G-ready today?
While awaiting spectrum allocation for the Malaysian environment, we’ve put 5G-ready network infrastructure in place in the following ways:
- We have the widest fibre-optic footprint to mobile base stations in preparation for 5G rollout.
- Our Next-Gen IP Network ensures that our core and backhaul are ready to support 5G speeds, robustness and latency.
- We provide the first commercial NB-IOT service in Malaysia – a 5G-like technology that allows businesses today to tap into advanced data analytics for valuable insights that enable cost savings, improved efficiency and new business opportunities.
Log on to live chat for instant assistance.
We're only a phone call away.
Send us a tweet and we'll get back to you.
Find a store
Walk into a Maxis Store near you for help.