Upon approval from Malaysian Communication and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) to trial 200MHz of 3.5GHz C-band spectrum, Maxis successfully achieved 2.96Gbps for single user peak speeds, recording a new high at two of its trial sites in Subang Jaya recently. The new record further reinstates the position of Maxis being in the forefront of technology leadership for the nation’s 5G development.
Maxis Posts Strong Q2 With Revenue And Profit Growth
Highlights: Year-on-Year (YoY) – Q2 2017 vs Q2 2016:
- Service revenue up 3.3% to RM2,122 million against RM2,055 million a year ago, supported by sustained postpaid and prepaid performance amidst intense competition
- Postpaid revenue grew 2.0% to RM998 million from RM978 million a year ago, with a solid base of nearly 1.9 million MaxisONE customers with monthly average revenue per user (ARPU) of RM120
- Prepaid revenue grew 2.9% to RM984 million from RM956 million in Q2 last year. Hotlink FAST, 4G prepaid market leader with high ARPU of RM44, has more than 1.8 million subscriptions which has almost tripled from last year
- Normalised EBITDA grew 9.3% to RM1,104 million from RM1,010 million a year ago reflecting the steady revenue growth and excellent cost control. EBITDA margin (on service revenue) was equally strong at 52.0%
- Normalised profit after tax (PAT) grew 14.2% to RM484 million from RM424 million driven by higher EBITDA and lower property, plant and equipment related charges
- Declared a second interim dividend of five sen per share
Year-on-Year (YoY) - H1 2017 vs H1 2016:
- Service revenue up 1.8% to RM4,251 million against RM4,177 million a year ago
- Normalised EBITDA grew 2.6% to RM2,227 million from RM2,171 million
- Normalised PAT up 9.5% to RM998 million from RM911 million
Solid Q2 performance:
|Q2 2017 (RM’m)||Q2 2016 (RM’m)||YoY( %)||H1 2017 (RM’m)||H1 2016 (RM’m)||YoY (%)|
Intensified efforts in giving unmatched customer experience:
- More and more Malaysians are enjoying a superfast data experience on our industry leading 4G LTE network which has now reached 89% of the population.
- Malaysians love the Internet, proven now more than ever as LTE data consumption nearly doubled to 7.0 GB from 3.7 GB per month in Q2 last year. We ended the quarter with 5.6 million 4G LTE users, up from 3.5 million a year ago
- Strong MaxisONE plan uptake with our easier and simpler smartphone ownership plans - Zerolution and Power of ONE campaign
- The latest data upgrade, Hotlink Happy Hour continues to attract high ARPU 4G prepaid subscription. Customers can enjoy up to 30GB of free high speed Internet every month
- Significant reduction in complaints as customers enjoy our worry-free products. They also have greater control and flexibility to manage their transactions at their convenience with our self-serve apps - MyMaxis and Hotlink RED.
- High quality Internet is our biggest priority. We invested RM373 million capex for H1 2017 and will continue investing more to ensure our customers enjoy the best mobile streaming experience.
Comment by Morten Lundal, Chief Executive Officer, Maxis Berhad:
Q2 was a quarter of so many positives. We delivered strong financials with an all-time high customer satisfaction score to top them off. Our priority is to continue to deliver a great network experience and create an unmatched customer experience across all channels. This will only get better with our ambitions for a full digitalisation and we are on track towards this.”
To view Maxis’ Q2 2017 financial results video release, please click here: https://youtu.be/6XVVQjbqzFs
Maxis and Allo Technology Sdn. Bhd. (Allo), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB), will collaborate to provide greater access to fibre connectivity to more people and businesses in Cyberjaya and Bangsar South in the Klang Valley and Jasin in Malacca. Maxis and Allo today signed and exchanged an Access Agreement for the provision of High Speed Broadband (HSBB) Network Services
Maxis today announced it will offer the new Apple Watch Series 5 (GPS + Cellular), featuring an Always-On display, breakthrough communication, fitness and health capabilities along with built-in cellular. To help Apple Watch Series 5 (GPS + Cellular) customers get started, Maxis will also offer a special introductory cellular trial. Customers will be able to order Apple Watch Series 5 beginning today, December 13, 2019 online and in stores.