Upon approval from Malaysian Communication and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) to trial 200MHz of 3.5GHz C-band spectrum, Maxis successfully achieved 2.96Gbps for single user peak speeds, recording a new high at two of its trial sites in Subang Jaya recently. The new record further reinstates the position of Maxis being in the forefront of technology leadership for the nation’s 5G development.
Maxis With Solid Q4 And Positive Momentum Into 2017
- Profit After Tax up 14% to RM544 million
- EBITDA grew 5.5% to RM1,183 million
- Clear leadership in 4G LTE network coverage
- Declared fourth interim dividend of 5 sen net per share
Maxis delivered a solid Q4 and ended the year with a strong operational and financial performance, with high traction for its leading data services amidst challenging market conditions. In 2016 overall, Maxis continued to grow its revenue, profits and market share, supported by higher average revenue per user (ARPU), strong 4G adoption, robust data usage and an industry-leading 4G LTE network.
Q4, Year-on-year (YoY) – Q4 2016 Vs Q4 2015:
- Service revenues grew 0.5% to RM2,165 million with stable postpaid and prepaid performance
- Prepaid revenues sustained at RM1,024 million with Mobile Internet driving the momentum
- Postpaid posted revenues of RM1,004 million with strong acquisition momentum driven by MaxisONE Plan and Zerolution
- Earnings Before Interest, Tax, Depreciation and Amortisation (EBITDA) grew 5.5% to RM1,183 million
- Profit After Tax (PAT) up 14.0% to RM544 million
Full Year, Year-on-Year (YoY) – FY 2016 Vs FY 2015:
- Service revenue declined 0.8% to RM8,455 million
- EBITDA improved 1.3% to RM4,484 million
- PAT improved 0.2% to RM1,963 million
|Q4 2016 (RM’m)
||Q4 2015 (RM’m)
||Change (%)||FY 2016 (RM’m)
||FY 2015 (RM’m)
- The Hotlink FAST pack launched in Q2 has surpassed 1.5 million users and continued to attract high Mobile Internet ARPU users. As a result, Mobile Internet penetration grew to 59% (Q316: 55%) and prepaid ARPU was higher at RM42 (Q316: RM41) per month.
- In the last 12 months, MaxisONE subscription base doubled to 1.7 million with an average monthly ARPU of RM138, significantly higher than the average postpaid ARPU of RM102 per month last year. MaxisONE Share continued to be a strong catalyst driving incremental port-ins with more than one-third of MaxisONE customers having a share line
- Data explosion continued. Average usage per customer increased to almost 4.0GB per month from 1.5GB last year
- No. 1 in 4G LTE network, coverage at 88% of population, widest in the country:
- For the full year 2016, we invested a total of RM1.2 billion in capital expenditure primarily to increase coverage and capacity, particularly on our 4G network to deliver the best network experience
Comment By Morten Lundal, Chief Executive Officer, Maxis Berhad:
“2016 was a challenging yet good year for us. Despite the intense price competition in the market, we performed well by focusing on offering our customers uniquely attractive value propositions. Our customers now enjoy a combination of lots of data at affordable prices on the best network, and we're proud to record all time high customer satisfaction. All in all, 2016 was a year of good progress with positive momentum heading into 2017.”
To view Maxis’ full year 2016 financial results video release, please click here:
Maxis and Allo Technology Sdn. Bhd. (Allo), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB), will collaborate to provide greater access to fibre connectivity to more people and businesses in Cyberjaya and Bangsar South in the Klang Valley and Jasin in Malacca. Maxis and Allo today signed and exchanged an Access Agreement for the provision of High Speed Broadband (HSBB) Network Services
Celcom Axiata Bhd (Celcom) and Maxis Berhad (Maxis) successfully conducted Southeast Asia’s first 5G Multi Operator Core Network (MOCN) trial, achieving peak speeds of more than 1.1Gbps in an outdoor environment at trial sites in Langkawi, Kedah.